Saturday, March 21, 2009

James Turrell at PS1


James Turrell at PS1 from Elizabeth Fodde on Vimeo.

Every single time that I have been to PS1 I either go too early or too late to see the Turrell room. Last month I was finally fortunate to be there at the right time and the right season to view the room. I realize that art historians are not supposed to talk about how the art makes them feel, instead we talk about metaphors, analysis, contextualization, formalism, theories. Even when art historians try to talk about emotions, it's hidden behind theories of the sublime. We're supposed to remain objective so that you can take what we say with seriousness. Well you know what? I'm not an art historian with a PhD, so I'm just going to come out and say it: The Turrell room moved me.

The work consists of a square room with benches around the perimeter, and a square opening in the ceiling. The light that day made the work feel at once two dimensional and also very real. The video that I took does not really capture it very well. His works have to do with illusionism, light, and opticality. It is simultaneously about the beauty of nature and controlling and manipulating nature. The installations make you aware of the act of looking, and aware of spatial manipulation. People around me were chatting, but at one point things became subdued and hushed.

If you are interested, read this interview with Turrell, where he talks about his views on light, art, and also, his way of life.

No comments: