Thursday, January 8, 2009

Another Ed Ruscha Fact




So, I'm kind of obsessed with Ed Ruscha right now. Bear with me. Ruscha is famous for his paintings, but also for his books, most notably Every Building on the Sunset Strip (1966). In one of the many interviews I read this past semester, Ruscha spoke about the process of bookmaking as a way for him to enter into three dimensionality. He then described the way that he extended this into his two dimensional paintings by painting the title of the works on the sides of the canvas as you can see in this image. By adding the title on the side, he made the canvas parallel a book cover and the sides act like the spine of the book. (He didn't do this for all his paintings). I always wonder how the use of different mediums interact for artists, and this is a very interesting example.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

I found your site because it showed up in my sites statistics for some reason. Anyhow, I love Ruscha. Check out this shirt I bought because it looked like something he'd do: http://thelifestyle.info/images/laworkout.jpg